Hey! We’re Mel and Kyle, the couple behind The Baileys Go. We’re a couple of college sweethearts who committed to making a life full of travel and adventure. Originally from Atlanta, GA, we’ve committed the next year to full-time travel. We use this blog and our YouTube Channel to share our experiences, our best tips, and so many more resources with the hopes that you’ll laugh, cry, and celebrate with us along this journey.
By the end of this page, you’ll probably feel like you know us really well. In fact, let’s make it official and connect on social media so we can get to know you too!
We met on August 13, 2009, on the campus of North Carolina A&T State University. I, Mel, know the exact date because that is also my very first day of college. Kyle was a sophomore resident assistant helping freshmen move-in. We found out that we had the same major, Industrial and Systems Engineering, while my mom found out the dorms were co-ed. We spoke only in passing for several months until one day, I randomly started a conversation that lasted for several hours. (That’s right, I shot my shot and it worked). After 8 years of dating, we finally got married on March 25, 2017, and had the best party to celebrate.
Shortly after getting married, we decided to get out of debt. This was our first major goal as newlyweds. It took 8 months of intense focus but we paid off $50,000 of student loans, car notes, and credit cards. (GOODBYE Sallie Mae, HELLO positive net worth)
The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave to the lender.
Proverbs 22:7 (NIV)
From one major goal to the next, we decided this level of financial freedom needed something more. In January 2018, we decided to travel the world for a full year (one year, CONTINUOUSLY). It took almost two years of savings and countless sacrifices but that time is nowhere. Thus, we created this little site to share those adventures with you.
We’ve been through a lot together – college, long-distance, adulting, marriage, financial freedom– and at the end of it all, we still sorta like each other
Now to why you actually came here…
Hey! I’m Mel Bailey and I’m so humbled you found your way to our website. For starters, while my real name is Melanie, I go by Mel, MelB, MellyB, and MellyP. Most people call me Mel. I had no clue what I wanted to be when I grew up so, like most nerds, I majored in engineering in university. Towards the end of my senior year, I still had no clue what I wanted to do. I love school and I love helping others so I decided to pursue a career as a professor (spoiler alert: that didn’t work out). Right after graduation, I enrolled in a Master’s program studying applied mathematics. Graduate school was the worst! So much so that I skipped graduation and took the highest paying job offer. Three years later into an unfulfilling career, The Bailey Go was born.
Here are some fun facts about me:
- I spend hours on YouTube watching DIY projects. You name it and I’ve tried it – DIY bikini waxes, DIY body butter, DIY clothing hack. I’m a self-proclaimed DIY queen.
- Before starting The Baileys Go, I’ve been to 19 countries. In 2012, I studied abroad through an amazing program, Semester at Sea, where I travel to 12 countries on basically a cruise ship. My wanderlust increased tenfold.
- In 2005, I won 4 tickets to a private Chris Brown concert through the radio station. The concert began at 6 pm and we arrived at 1 pm. (s/o to my mom for picking me up early from school). Of course, we were the first ones in line and dead center, first row. During the concert, Chris Brown pulled 4 girls on the stage to sing and dance along. Guess who was one of the four?! Through a series of events, I ended up
twerkingdancing with Chris Brown that night.
- I’m a proud member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Incorporated. I crossed into the Alpha Mu chapter at NC A&T in 2011.
- I was the first data scientist hired in my department. While it afforded me the life to get out of debt and save for this trip, I learned that this is not for me at all. While I can easily do the job, I don’t want to. Plus, the culture was toxic.
- I hate cooking and grocery shopping but I like cooking experiments. Contradiction, maybe- but remember I’m the DIY queen. Day-to-day cooking is overwhelming and restaurant food always tastes better than food at home. Anyone else?!
- Every year during the Christmas season, I go to NYC. I love Christmas time in NYC. My favorite Christmas movie is ELF which takes place in NYC during Christmas.
- I started wearing glasses in the first grade. Before glasses were cool, my 3 siblings made fun of me for months
- I had 3 extra teeth that have now been removed. Gross and expensive.
- Destination I’m most looking forward to- Budapest, Hungary. I’ve been twice for work with little time for exploration. Still, it’s one of my favorite cities.
What’s up! I’m Kyle Bailey and I’m so humbled you found your way to our website. Most people call me KB or K. Like MelB, I was (still am?) a big nerd; therefore, I also majored in Industrial and Systems Engineering at North Carolina A&T State University. I helped Mel move into her dorm freshman year and the rest is history. After graduation, I worked tirelessly for an unappreciative employer for 12+ hour days in Columbia, SC. Thankfully, I moved to another company when we moved to ATL. I’ve always traveled with my family growing up. My immigrant parents were adamant about showing us the world. Plus, I have family across the globe.
Here are some fun facts about me:
- I’m Jamaican. My parents were born and raised in Jamaican and came here shortly after their wedding. I’m an American and Jamaican dual citizen. Wah gwan!
- As boring as it is, my favorite food is rice. Literally, it goes with everything. It completes every meal.
- I iron my socks and underwear. Call me, IronMan!
- I played soccer in high school for 2 years. My position was left-mid because everyone on the team was right-footed and I was the only one willing to play with my left. The philosophy to do what others aren’t willing to do to increase my skills has carried into other parts of life.
- I attribute my chocolate complexion to my love of chocolate candy and chocolate chip cookies.
- I have a motorcycle license with no intention of ever owning a motorcycle. A motorbike in Southeast Asia. Maybe.
- I took my first international flight before the age of 2 to Jamaica to visit my grandmother.
- I can spend hours and hours per day watching car videos on Youtube. Growing up, I wanted to be a race car driver.
- At some point in the future, I would like to do interior or architectural design. I grew up fixing up my childhood home – laying tiles and painting. When we eventually buy a home, I’d like to fix it up myself.
- Destination most looking forward to – Vietnam. I know so little about Vietnam so it will be a complete surprise. Plus, I grew up with a lot of Vietnamese friends and would love to learn more about their culture.
Now that you know everything about us, DM us 10 interesting things about you on Instagram @thebaileysgo.